Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Magic and Music: Grixis (Blue-Black-Red)

http://www.lala.com/#memberplaylist/47893P81265/

I had a hard time making this one cohere. I expected this one to be more blue Rakdos than anything, but instead it's black Izzet (and barely red Dimir). So it's crazy first, dark second; based on the flavor of unearth and all the death going around, I would have preferred my collection giving me more black-centered songs, but it wasn't meant to be. The flavor of Grixis always seemed big-picture death things rather than something you could pinpoint the way you could with Bant or Esper. The compilation suffers as a result, but it's far from bad; it just doesn't do it for me the way its component two-color combos do. Maybe you'll disagree.

Side note: Blu Mar Ten's contribution here may be the only five-color song in existence. It's here in part because the album needed help and in part because its bassline is so very Grixis, but...it's Fusion Elemental. Or Karona, the False God.

Underworld - Pearls Girl
(Shadowgate) - Mystic Piano
Leftfield - Phat Planet
Hybrid - Kill City
Blu Mar Ten - By the Time My Light Reaches You I'll Be Gone
Fluke - Kitten Moon
VNV Nation - Strata --> Interceptor
808 State - Souflex
Autechre - Eutow --> Teartear

No comments:

Post a Comment